The legendary Shock G of Digital Underground has officially announced his retirement via an open letter to fans. Read on...
I'm retiring from all forms of studio work and song writing.
My reasons for retiring are:
1. I get no satisfaction or fulfillment from it anymore. It doesn't make me happy. On the contrary, it depresses me.
Normally I'm not depressed, it's only surrounding the studio. I'm happy when I''m away from the studio.
2. Can't make a living at it. 90% of the studio work I've done in the last 6 years has all been either for free or for peanuts, and hasn't generated any income since.
3. It drives me to do drugs, cause I HATE BEING IN THE STUDIO. To much pressure & expectation for me to make/save/spark someone else's career or project.
4. I quit the studio. Fuck the studio.
5. I can't win in the studio, It's pointless, it's a "catch 22" for me, watch:
If what I do sucks, it tarnishes the legacy, hurts the family, and even lowers the price, and also leaves the artists & involved-companies unhappy;
But if what I do shines, it generates more studio work for the future, and further traps me in the music business, a business I have no intention of slaving to the rest of my life. I gave it 20 years. I'm done.
6. Every man has the right to the pursuit of happiness and should first try a job that he might gain happiness & fulfillment from. This doesn't make me happy anymore, it makes me miserable and a drug addict.
7. I''m done widdit. Whew!
YES, it already feels great already just to say it!!!
I most likely will try my hand at some of these:
> writing (Afeni assures me this is my true calling every time she see's me. Maybe she's right?)
> stage performing, meaning accepting tours or positions in other bands doing keys & background vocals. (IF it's real and if the moneys good. No amateur or free stuff anymore.)
> regular jobs in service (like clubs, hotels, TV show bands or staff, restaurants, who knows?)
> ..and of course still do digital tours cause it PAYS and people don't expect me & Mon (grown men) to work for free, like all the studio requests. I''m 42 and have wants/needs/bills/responsibilities.
So there it is, spread the word, I quit.
I don't make beats, I don't do vocals, I don't write vocals, NONE OF IT.
Those of you who are friends, will be happy for me. Happy that I shook something that was making me miserable.
Those of you who had plans to "use" or manipulate me at the expense of my own health & happiness, will be upset about this. All I can say to those would be, you're free to do whatever you wish, and so am I.
I choose to QUIT.
there it is.
Thanx everybody, spread the word